Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Walk the walk

Deepak Chopra was commenting on his resolutions for 2009 and he mentioned that "happy people find opportunities where other people find problems". The current economy and "political climate" that has been in the spotlight for the last few months (before the election and the "bailouts"), point to recession. When I picture the black and white pictures of long lines for soup and bread in the depression era, it is hard to imagine we are in the same hardships. Working in the ER, I see people who can't afford medical insurance but are clutching a bag of Mcdonalds and talking on cell phone while watching the kids in the room play Nintendo DS. The government does cover our kids for everything from medicines to surgeries to multiple ER visits. (some will even complain about the "long wait" at the downtown VNA free clinic in Aurora as a reason to wait in the longer line at the ER). So I see that as this is a bad time for everybody, people are surviving and utilizing what is available to continue life. In many cases, people are also continuing their bad habits. Smoking, poor eating, alcohol, sedentary life and complaining about the "system". I just got off the phone with a radio talk show host and his significant other is continuing to cough through 2 rounds of antibiotics and has an appointment to see a special doctor that charges a retainer fee of $1500.00/year that will allow you to become one of his patients (and after that you still have to pay for each visit!). Uninformed people are surviving but getting worse. Informed people are trying to change but paying more now than ever for guidance and instruction. The people that are supposed to be the healers, are feeling that they have to charge over- the-top fees to survive the insults sent by the insurance companies one a month



What the hell? I thought the concept of being a doctor meant you were devoted to your patient 24/7 and were the person to call in case of emergency. It has gone from neighborhood docs with house calls to boutique medicine where doc charges per minute like a lawyer. I complain but I realize I am working as part of the problem in an emergency room ushering people in and out and placing temporary fixes here and there hoping someone else will take good care of the individual who is looking for help. Now comes my reveal:



As I mentioned earlier, Chopra was mentioning we have to live the same life that we are trying to share with others. I eventually will get to the point of practicing medicine my way, not taking insurance but yet not charging thousands of dollars. I believe I am blessed with a wife that is an excellent dentist, opening up here own clinic and truthfully, I don't have to work another day with the following she seems to have. (Patients know when you are practicing from the "heart"). I have promised god to share with others the type of health and wellness that I am experiencing now. At 46, I am healthier than I have ever felt, I choose to surround myself with positive people (from bankers to union workers to local law enforcement....I even have an old patient that is still active with Chicago FBI) and most of all, my family has chosen not to let evil or hatred in our house. I always tell patients that are suffering to seek out others that are uplifting and inspirational. Hanging with people who hate will make you hate. The analogy that anger spreads fast in a crowded elevator will usually get the one that hurts to seek out a different surrounding and a different social group. On the flip side laughter also is contagious. I think smiles are healing, handshakes can be uplifting, gifts are encouraging. I tell my patients that "turning the other cheek" is an outdated phrase; accepting an injury but and starting the healing process before it occurs is the basis for good spiritual grounding. -(see sportsinjury411 for yoga info)- Hatred, wrong doing and "bad karma" still has to be responded to, but that is why we have friends, law enforcement (thanks to Naperville, Lisle and Aurora PD) and trial lawyers. Let the "good guys" do what they have to do, trust in what your doctor has to say (but get an alternative opinion) and surround yourself with positive people.