Friday, January 23, 2009

Bun in the oven

14 year old kid came in with mom for a little problem with upper respiratory symptoms and had to leave basket ball practice early. Got a little dizzy. No other sick people at home but I knew there was something going around the community. Physical evaluation showed a stuffy nose, alot of post nasal dripping, clear chest and retracted ear drums from the nose being so stuffy. I told her and mom about what I thought and that due to the circumstances around the community and her presenting issues, she probably has what all others have and I should give antibiotics and nasal sprays if she cant wait and do the conservative way. Of course I asked, "and when was your last period?" She mentioned it was off this month (january)...a little late and short. Then obviously I asked in a politically correct way with mom in the room..."do you have a boyfriend". She said kind of and didnt make eye contact. Then I let mom ask...."are you having sex?" The kid said I had it along time ago. At first I thought....oh she probably experimented once along time ago and she is not active. Then I asked in detail....."when was the last time?"....she said "last year". Immediately I gave a sigh of relief but then I asked exactly when so I could document it....and she said "december". (I thought to myself....does she mean december 13 months ago or last month) then it hit that this is a 14 year old and the perception of time is as off as the conception of consequence. So end of story, I ordered a urine test and had to give child and mom (or should I say Mom and Mom) the news. What was shocking was the way mom asked "are you having sex"....it was as if it was a channel two new reporter asking the question, not a concerned parent who would be saying it like, please dont tell me you are having sex with someone. I felt as if the mom wasnt involve with the raising of the child....and maybe she wasnt but.....the highest likelyhood is that the mom (now grandmother) will probably raise the august baby!