Sunday, February 3, 2008

Just like ole times.....

Got a call from old friends/patients in Wheaton. As I was at the ER/Expresscare working, came accross a note from one of the old families I used to take care of in Wheaton. First I thought, oh no...it's bad news. (I can't imagine what it's like to have a loved one in Iraq and getting a call from the government!) When I got some time, I called to get the news from the frustrated wife. My old friend; retired airborne armed forces patient, had gone to see a good neurosurgeon collegue of mine. (This was a doctor I rotated with when I was at Cook County Hospital visiting from the philippines trying to experience Traumasurgery and Neurosurgery. He was chief resident then and very meticulous; when I came back to Illinois to practice medicine in '95, he was at the same hospital! Excellent surgeon, great bedside manor, all around nice guy....and here he is again back in my life somehow.....for those who read the "Secret"...this is the law of positive attraction!) Anyway, my old patient had back pain and went to see Matt. The MRI showed 2 discs, so with intractable pain failing conservative treatment, the next step was to fix. Unfortunately, he still had pain and now muscle atrophy psot surgery. After getting all the info on what had been ordered and attempted in the last 3-4 months, everything was correct and my only reply was (in my cup half full reasoning)....at least it wasn't cancer! In the midst of all his pain, after having gone through corrective surgery, physical therapy with the best and to be unchanged with his pain, the last thing he wanted to hear was "it's not that bad".

But it is true, he isn't going to die..... but he isn't getting sleep and has 24 hours of pain. All I am thinking is that..."great, if Matt has worked his magic and found no surgically corrective issues, my turn!!! I started rattling off everthing I wanted to do in order, just because I have been down this road before. Even when I didn't do as much integrative medicine, I was still using all my non surgical possibilities to help patients and guess what, it was about the same thing. Listen to what the patient was complaining about, interpret what the true issue is, fix the sleep, give hope, insure proper nutrition and start rehab(movement/flexibility).

Here's the message boys and girls, no matter what the medical issue is, always need to support the basics: nutrition, sleep, movement, spirit. Even if the skilled surgeon is involved, still need those basics satisfied or else surgical outcome will be poor. Sometimes in preparing for an ACL reconstruction like in football, the therapists will do what we call "prehabilitation". This is getting the muscles and joints tone and strong enough to go straight into therapy after surgery. We can take this same concept and use it even for smaller issues. Prehab for surgery, chemo, travel, new medicine trials, starting stressful times in life or even before starting antibiotics for a cough. Outcomes will always fare better when the body is prepared.

So I am sending Bob to an acupuncture friend of mine = http://www.eastwesthealingcenter.net/, (I still don't have a physical space set up yet), the therapist will hopefully be able to get a TENS unit for the patient to use hourly, I will add a gentle muscle relaxer and then suggest and herbal antiinflammatory (he is on a blood thinner and regular nsaids can't be used). The most help I probably gave him was a chance for improvement. When western medicine stops, eastern medicine continues on! It's amazing how this gets me energized also!...I'll keep you informed on how "Bob" does.