Monday, November 26, 2007

Head in the clouds

It was a chilly day in Chicago and my family was in post turkey slumbering. We had a birthday to attend and it was a pool party! (Indoor of course) I haven't swam since august and the anticipation of doing "laps" got me excited but at the same time, I didn't want to injure myself with overusing muscles I haven't used in a while. I had done the usual work out the 2-3 days prior of aggressive weight training (heart rates into the 160-170 range) for 30 min followed by 40 min of cardio (bike and run with heart rates in the 130 range). I pride myself on being able to mix up the weight training with a little crew team type station to station exercise with the "300" type work out. This is where muscle hurts with lactic acid build up but the dry bronchial tube pain reminds me of the feeling from school track practice with repetitive sprints of 100, 200 yard for what seemed to be hours. Gives you a kind of razor in the trachea type feel while breathing in cold air. I feel a 45 if I can do this without injury and still notice muscle bulk increases, a 20-30 something should be able to kick my butt. Watching my wrestlers at UCF go through a workout just puts me to shame and collegiate athletes are not only muscular but ripped to shreds. (low body fat for you non-athletes) If they can do it then there's no reason I have to see guys talking and joking around waiting between sets and staring at themselves in the mirror. One of my pet peeves is when I see guys walking from machine to machine in between sets... staring at themselves as if something is going to change! After watching the extras part from the movie "300" and seeing how the personal trainers got the actors in shape for the movie.....the principal character stated many times he would work out to the point of barfing. That's the good old days measurement of exhaustion....not pulse rate taking but vomiting. You know you had a good work out if you threw up.....and only the best athletes vomited after a lift or a sprint! As a warning, there is the theory of overuse when it comes to exercise but come on....in this day of ultramarathoners, triathletes, iron men and olympians....is there is a new standard by which we can push ourselves in a gym or at home. I just think we get too delicate once we hit 30 for fear that a heart attack may emerge from nowhere so we take it easy. I plan on encouraging my older patients that have been cleared by me to push the envelope with heart rate and exercise and set a new standard.
As I was saying, I was looking forward to doing some laps and after my boy swam a little and my wife had time to socialize, got my goggles and swim fins and hit the 25 meter pool. Did some slow laps and had my cousin join me for a few....by the time I was done, 30 minutes went by and I covered about a half to 3/4 of a mile. The adrenaline wasn't spectacular but just being able to tackle the distance after being out of water so long put me on a high.....then I went on to the dinner table and saw a few pork dishes and ended up going with a little roasted pork (no skin) with a plate full of peanuts and grapes.....no guilt! The rest of the night was all the same, I actually was amazed I didn't feel sore at all. This is the kind of feeling with yoga, not the adrenaline rush of weight training but a more euphoric feeling with a feeling of being impervious to outside insult or trauma.

I am a big proponent of tai chi and yoga with stress reduction, hypertension, arthritis and depression. It is always a difficult sale to someone from a society built around getting self reward for breaking a sweat in front of a mirror over 60-90 minutes and feeling a "pump". With most of the baby boomers hitting 50-60, they will probably have a basic knowledge of the 2 forms of exercise with a picture of an short old chinese guy or a man in a turbin exercising. Truth of the matter is is you look in any local YMCA or health club, they will usually have a female instructor in yoga and a male instructor in tai chi. (Yoga seems to be the big craze now). When done properly and continued for 30 days or more, one will usually see the benefits of the gentle movement sports over the hard hitting exercises for heart health. Just takes a little encouragement to make it to the point of gaining the benefits.