Sunday, September 16, 2007

Reinvented Me

This weekend I went back to Clermont to guest lecture with Clell Fowles, a pharmacist from Utah. We had been invited by The Herb Shoppe to discuss 6 topics. A good mix of ages and sexes attended in addition to at least one other MD. It was a challenge to attempt lecturing to a wide audience with broad topics but the reviews were all positive. Judging from the Q & A after each topic, people were eager to learn and they were following along with me. My only wish is that the medical community could instill this fund of knowledge to each and every one of it's patients. I believe there are some physicians who have a passion for teaching and allowing the injured or sick to learn about the disease they are being labeled with and take hold of it and fight. Once a patient knows how things work with disease and the body, it's not so "foreign" to understand and the plan that I suggested can be faithfully followed without question. Not knowing where the road turns makes a driver slow down and take extra precaution. When a disease takes hold of the body, time is so precious. Just ask some of my cancer survivors or the families of those that didn't.

Dr. Joseph Helms from UCLA taught me there are other ways to care for the sick that have been around for 3000 years. When his technique of placing a chinese needle into my torn rotator cuff, (that I has a sportsmedicine physician with my network of extraordinary physical therapist and my collegues from downtown who put shoulders back together for million dollar baseball player), returned my shoulder back to full painfree range of motion even with an mri documented labral tear.....it made a believer out of me. This is when I began to accept alternative medicine. I dove further into it with traditional chinese medicine then the teachings of Andrew Weil, MD. Applying the theories these guru's have taught me and working with the herbalists in Florida has improved the quality of life for any patients. I feel it's my calling to bring this positive way of healing to other patients and doctors. The way healthcare is structured in this country is not working, I am on the front line and I come in contact everyday with people who are suffering. I am going to make a change and whether it affects one family or all the families of the United States, I have to do it............God please continue helping me!